Monday, January 02, 2006

Dogpile of Shit

Dogpile was never terribly useful in my opinion but I somehow ended up on their site today for some odd reason and just about fell off my chair when their top results included ads as if they were actual search results.

Stunned and shocked there I sat staring at the top search results showed with the source listed as "[Found on Ads by Yahoo!]" like these paid results had a damn thing to do with what was actually relevant except that the advertiser targeted that particular keyword.

It's one thing when search engines put ads at the top of the results, as it's clearly identified a sponsored link, but when meta-search engines just combine the ads as matter of fact part of their results then the concept of meta-search has completely jumped the shark.

Sorry Dogpile, but you've fetched your last bone for me.

No comments: