Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Snared Human Claims "I Ain't No Bot!"

When you snare a human in your bot trap they might be a little feisty and squirm a little. Those snared humans may even send you a scathing email claiming complete innocence, your tools are broken, bad bot blocker, BAD!

Amazing that his tool appears to be the one broken, not mine!

I nicely replied to this snared human and asked if he could explain why he downloaded a couple of hundred pages in just a few minutes, many of them the same page over and over and over again, sometimes several per second.

Sorry Mr. Human but your browser exhibits the same behavior as one of those high speed scrapers that have attacked me in the past and you were shut down for behaving badly.

I suspect he has PRE-FETCH enabled which is amusing because I have PRE-FETCH disabled server-side, so if he has it enabled it didn't identify itself as PRE-FETCH which is why he was snared.

Oh boo hoo, guess you'll just have to go waste someone else's bandwidth using that stupid browser that keeps downloading the same pages as fast as it can download them.

I won't miss you and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

No comments: